Don’t let your dream home turn into a nightmare
BBB tips for selecting a home builder
AUSTIN, Texas – July 23, 2012 – As the housing market improves and interest rates remain low, many first time homebuyers are moving forward with plans to purchase their dream home. When the time comes to make your dream home a reality, Better Business Bureau reminds consumers to do their due diligence when selecting a home builder.
The past three years, home builders have appeared on BBB’s top 25 list of most complained about industries. Most complaints allege subpar work, issues with contract and warranty guarantees and difficulties working with and contacting the contractor.
To avoid these problems and unforeseen others, BBB suggests the following:
· Check licensing. Make sure the contractor or company is in compliance with all local licensing, bonding and insurance requirements and that any necessary building permits are obtained.
· Check insurance. Make sure the builder has sufficient workers compensation and general liability insurance. If not, you may be liable for any construction-related accidents on your premises.
· Ask for references. To check the quality of the work, ask for references and check out the contractor’s previous projects. Ask residents if the developer delivered what was promised.
· Visit the builder’s previous projects. To check the quality of work, ask for references and check out the contractor’s previous projects. Ask residents if the builder delivered what was promised.
· Thoroughly read your contract. Never sign a blank or partially blank contract, and never sign anything you don’t agree with or understand. Make sure a clear payment schedule is included in the contract as well as a list of all subcontractors. Make sure your payments do not get a head of the work.To check the reliability of a company and find trustworthy businesses, visit bbb.org.
About Better Business Bureau:
BBB's mission is to be the leader in advancing marketplace trust. BBB accomplishes this mission by creating a community of trustworthy businesses, setting standards for marketplace trust, encouraging and supporting best practices, celebrating marketplace role models and denouncing substandard marketplace behavior.
Businesses that earn BBB Accreditation contractually agree and adhere to the organization's high standards of ethical business behavior. BBB is the preeminent resource to turn to for objective, unbiased information on businesses and charities.
Contact BBB serving Central, Coastal, Southwest Texas and the Permian Basin at (512) 445-4748.